
"Also, the dedicated pursuit of scientific knowledge deserves our respect, and we should never be close-minded or dismissive of scientific claims if ever they seem to threaten our understanding of God's revelation to us." (Bishop Raymundo Pena)
I am tired of people dismissing science due to there religion. I tutor adult ESL students in science and it can be very difficult to tutor someone who blindly believes in what they were told in church. In this case I am talking about Evolution and the story of Adam and Eve. Well, since most of my students are Catholic I decided to share this quote by a well known Catholic leader in South Texas, Bishop Reymundo Peña. After they read it I had no complaints or comments when explaining the Theory of Evolution. Most of them were even intrigued with the idea that scientist found apes to be our comment ancestors.
Wow. What a difference it makes when they read that it is ok to be open-minded about such things when it comes from a religious official, specially a local one. ; )
No comments:
Post a Comment